Tuesday 17 August 2010

Nights Like These...

It's nights like these I love; sitting in my camp chair, the sun has set, it's a warm evening with a cool breeze, I can just see the first stars to appear in the sky. Ben is cooking spaghetti bolognese on our gas cooker. I can hear the camping cookware rattle about as he prepares the dinner, brightly coloured plastic plates, that would only ever be used in the outdoors, scraping cheap metal pots and pans. We have the bare minimum, but it is enough. It's like hearing the sound of a tent unzipping, I am filled with nostalgic thoughts of happy childhood camping memories. There is nothing quite like sitting outdoors, smelling nature around you while you go about routine activities, to make the ordinary fun! It is definitely something I plan to ensure my children experience. Although the work and effort involved in this kind of holiday for just two, makes me so appreciate what my parents went through for the 6 of us children. This has become our nightly routine, and as Ben just pointed out, and most likely his comment is due to the fact that it is his turn to cook, and I am the one sitting in luxury, that this is not really something one will enjoy after 2 months, and settling into a town for a couple of days and being able to eat out will be quite a treat.

So far, our travelling expenses, due to the fact that we have been driving a few hours each day, leave us with little extra expenditure, and so other than baguette's for lunch, and dinner ingredients, we have had little more than a coffee extra. Hence the reason for Ben's comment of anticipation towards no more cooking in this manner. I myself am still in the honeymoon phase of our camping meals, and other than the annoyance of having to lug everything from the car to our cooking destination each evening, I enjoy the process.

Today involved not much sightseeing, as we were excited at the prospect of free internet with our McDonald's coffee's, and therefore enjoyed at least an hour of internet with each of our 3 coffees! It can only be described as relief, the feeling of once again being in contact with the rest of the world through a computer, bringing to light my reliance on internet. As much as I enjoy camping, I am not designed to live a life of isolation, and camping must therefore contain certain worldly luxuries.

So far, our Sat Nav (whom we have named Bonnie, since that is the name of the lady who tells us where to go...geeky I know!), has not led us astray when finding a destination, with the exception of petrol stations. Three out of four times it will lead us to an empty lot, which obviously used to house a gas station. Meaning our precious last drops of gas get wasted in the hunt for more...I am thinking it is about time we bought a container to hold a little extra, just in case the Sat Nav is having a particularly bad day and leads us astray 4 out of 4 times.

Well, that about brings you up to date...I am sure I will have something of a little more interest to write when we reach our next major destination...San Sebastian. Talk then!

1 comment:

  1. Oh you really make me laugh Joe...i can picture you and Ben tootling down the road to the ferry...etc hope the car is ok and that you survive on your diet i'm sure it will bring back memories for Sarah and Nath too...with their pasta days. well worth it tho huh???lots of memories to laugh about and share in the years ahead!!! lots of love xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete