Saturday 21 August 2010

Farewell France...

I have decided that the French actually do live up to their stereo type. In every village we have driven through, every second person on the street has been carrying a baguette. They actually do cycle everywhere, little French bikes with baskets on the front carrying their baguettes, and today, despite it being 26 degrees I saw one man wearing a beret! Don't you love it when a culture delivers what it promises to deliver! The only stereotype that I have to disagree with is that they are rude. We have not come across a rude French person yet, in fact, in comparison to living in England I would call them incredibly considerate and polite! Not to mention they just sound sexy when they talk. They could be swearing at me for all I know, and I would simply smile and gush at their every word. I am guessing, due to my gushing and blank looks they think I am slightly retarded. And as drivers, they are the most patient I have come across...not that I have done much of the driving, as I think Ben is a little nervous about letting me behind the wheel due to all the moaning I did about driving on the right side of the road before we left! They actually let people into queues, and are happy to obey the road rules. Again, something not so common in England. I figure all this loveliness of culture is due to the pastry patisserie s on every corner...I mean who can be bitter and grumpy when your belly is full of sweet yummyness?

This morning Ben and I used our Solar showers for the first time...although I wouldn't say that they had absorbed any of the solar heat, as the water was not far off freezing! After filling them yesterday morning and carting them round in the car all day, which we discovered they were not designed for due to the wet carpet, we decided that the roof is a much more effective way of carting them round...and I am sure that they will absorb much more solar heat if they are actually exposed to the sun. So getting back to the shower...let's just say it was definitely an experience in nature...in every sense of the word. We found a small grassy area which was slightly wooded, about 5 metres down from a main road. Ben hooked the shower up to a tree, and I was the lucky first in. Ben assured me, after I made him check from every angle, that my naked rear could not be seen by the passing traffic. Not really able to breath due to the cold water, I still managed to wash my hair, although in my urgency to get out of the cold, and away from the insects which had gathered for the show, I mixed up my shampoo and leave-in conditioner, and so my hair is now feeling rather sticky. All this aside, it was definitely worth all the drama, for the fresh cool feeling after!

So both smelling fresh we embarked on a new day, and had our first experience of European beaches. Innocently adoring the sights the beach had to offer we were soon confronted with many pairs of perky breasts...and then some very unperky pairs, and a few below regions to follow, (both men and women). We, being from sheltered New Zealand, thought we had embarked on a nudist beach, only to discover that this is likely just a common sight at European beaches due to the large number of families out enjoying the water. I was most surprised at an older lady wearing only a cropped t-shirt, casually walking to place her rubbish in the bin, (I guess that everyday tasks need to be done, whether clothed or not), ruining my previous idea that topless/nude beaches limited people to lying on their backs for a good tan, not wandering around willy nilly, (excuse the pun). So apparently European's don't just limit themselves to topless at beaches...I mean why would one put up with tan lines when there is no need. I have informed Ben, that my goal by the end of our tour is to have indulged in every aspect of European culture...well as much as my modest Kiwi nature will allow, meaning I will not be exposing my lower regions. Ben however, does not feel this same urge and therefore will remain togged. However, I think the day in which I embark on this new journey of becoming European will be a photo-less day.

No comments:

Post a Comment