Thursday 2 September 2010

Farewell Derby...

So insurance decided that 2,385 Euro was far too much to pay to fix our wee Darb Darbs, (as Ben had nicknamed him), due to the fact that we had paid a mere £750 pounds to purchase him. Some people just don't recognise a good thing when they see it. I mean did they take into account the purchases of all Derby's added 'extra's', (drawers, cubby holes, double bed and mattress), and the time it took us to turn him into Holmes Hotel...getting paid mechanics wages of course, (£40 an hour)? Had these things been taken into account I think they would have recognised the foolishness of their decision, and paid the meagre 2,385 Euro's, knowing that Derby had at least a year and a half of great travelling times left in him. Who would deprive such a hard-working lad his owed holidays? I have to say it was a slightly emotional time for me clearing our stuff out of Derby and leaving him behind. My last glimpse of him was the lovingly made New Zealand sticker proudly displayed on his back window, (come to think of it, we might have wanted to remove it and leave just the GB sticker on, due to the circumstances...we don't want to give NZ'ers a bad name!)
So this being said, we have finally left the small town, in which we quickly became locals at the several of the cafes, and Castellon, where we received Derby's terrible news, and are now hotelling it in Barcelona before we fly to Rome.

Now I did think to myself that it is probably the wisest idea for Ben and I to use public transport and avoid any form of driving, being that two weeks was the threshold of our good luck on European roads...and I did think this right up until the time we decided to make the most of the free hire car our car insurance would pay us. So we are back on the road...this time in a left-hand drive car, even more abnormal to drive than Derby, a right-hand drive, on the wrong side of the road, (according to us Kiwi's)...trying to leave the past behind us and once again experience all the joys travelling has to offer.

Our first night in Barcelona was really something quite divine! Being that we are trying to stinge out of as much spending as possible when it is not necessary, after driving round for about two hours we decided that rather than paying ridiculous prices for a hotel, we would relive Derby moments and sleep in the car. Now to be honest this was probably the moment I most missed Derby...a tiny four door Citroen is not quite the same as a double bed in the back of a people mover. We had our seats down as far as they would go, yet still were sitting partially upright. I was definitely in the better position being shorter than Ben, as I could still sleep on my side with my legs curled up...Ben had to kind of sit/Lie on the chair on his back all night. Another thing which we found to be a problem with the size, was not the lack of room, but the quick build up of heat. After an hour Ben and I were both sweating terribly, and it took much convincing on my part for him to open all the windows a small amount so that we wouldn't die of overheating in our sleeps, (Ben is always very safety conscious). This made a huge difference, and nestled amongst all our belongings from Derby, we managed to get a semi-full nights sleep...or at least I did. There is nothing quite like shutting your eyes knowing that you are protected by plates and pots round your head, clothes splayed under your feet, and spices, cooking oil, gas cooker and a gas canister, all next to your face to make for a good nights sleep.

Now I hate to admit it, and know, before I even start this next paragraph, that I am by no means a supporter, but McDonald's has truly been our lifesaver on this trip. Before you start picturing Ben and I waddling back home after our two month holiday, I am not talking about the food. McDonald's has this wonderful little thing called 'free wifi', and to say that Ben and I have scavenged as much of this as possible would be the understatement of the year! Let's just say that 10 coffees (Yes Mcdonald's actually does decent coffee in Europe, and 'yes again', we are too stingy to buy any food), has paid for a good 15-20 hours worth of internet! McDonald's has been responsible for saving us several Euro on hotels, hire car's and flights! Not to mention Ben's joy at being able to watch the All Blacks play South Africa in the Tri Nations final, (I do think the Spanish wondered at his mental state when shouting for the whole restaurant to hear each time we scored though). We are truly thankful! I don't think, however, that they will use our names as examples of how 'free wifi' has been a benefit to the company!

No comments:

Post a Comment